Read on... But remember I warned you!!

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Why One Must Sleep 8 Hours A Day!

Scene 1:
I suddenly open my eyes... Everything seems out of focus. It takes me a moment to realize where I am. I am in a classroom. I look around me. There are people. Some are staring at me, with a nasty grin on their faces. Some are looking straight ahead. Why? I follow their gaze. I can make out a fuzzy shape in the horizon. A hand. It moves to a table, and picks up something. The next thing I know, that 'something' is flying towards me with supersonic speed. I duck, in the nick of time. 'Something' hits 'Someone' behind me with a resounding thud. A loud scream. A stifled sob. 'Hand' drags me out of the classroom. I manage to catch a few words, "Shame", "Student", "Worthless", "Disgrace". A voice tells me to sit outside for the rest of the class. For some reason, that pleases me. Everything fades.

Scene 2:
Ouch! Somebody's poking me. But I can't see who it is. Everything's dark. Confused. Realization dawns. I open my eyes. This time, I don't have to look into the horizon. Somebody's standing right in front of me. Looks old. Must be a professor. He smiles. I smile. "So?", he asks. My smile fades. "I'm waiting", he says. So am I, waiting for something to strike me. Had he asked a question? "Second time in two classes I've caught you sleeping", he sounds exasperated. Really? Twice? Cool. "I'm striking off your name from this subject", he's lost all patience. Frantically try to recall which subject it is. Bell rings. Torture spared.

Scene 3:
I'm wide awake. I am attending a presentation. I look at my notebook. The pen in my hands moves across the book rapidly, I can make out words and diagrams. So I'm paying attention. Life's good. I lean back in my chair. But what's this? The lights in the room begin to flicker. The sound stops just short of my ears. I look at the pen in my hand. It is no longer there. I want to close my eyes, to clear my mind. I find they're already closed.

Scene 4:
I can hear a ring. I want to open the door. I then realize its a phone. Suddenly, loud, incessant chatter, lots of ringing. My eyes adjust to the bright light. There is a flatscreen in front of me. Hmm. Must be some workplace. Phone is still ringing. I pick up the receiver. "Dude, the client has been waiting for 15 mins. Where the @#$^ are you?". I pick up my diary and run, wondering what day of the week it is.

Scene 5:
Something's irritating me. Feels like a mosquito. I slap my hand. Wake up with a start. I'm on my bed. So I must be sleeping. No, my laptop is on. So I must be chatting. My blogspot is open. I must be updating my blog. Somebody had been telling me to, for a long time. But after 2.5 years?? Crazy. I look at the time. 2:30 AM. Yup, definitely crazy. I have to be in office by 9. Alt+F4. Yes? No? Yes. Drift back to blissful sleep.

Surviving on 4 hours of sleep a day, I often find myself 'dream'walking thoughout the day, landing up in situations not unlike those mentioned above. I think it's time to set my routine straight. As some 'dumb' person once said, "It's always important to sleep atleast 8 hours a day". Maybe she is right!! :P

6 Comments:

Blogger Deepti said...

:D...FINALLY!!! some sort of sense seems to have dawned on tht tiny lil brain of urs! :P

December 05, 2008 12:18 AM

 
Blogger Deepti said...

I was ofcourse referring to the fact of u having realized I am right.. which unconditionally implies "You are always wrong!" well... except for this time! :P

December 05, 2008 12:19 AM

 
Blogger Anand Natarajan said...

Incorrect interpretation.. I am now open to the possibility that you may be right :P

And you are completely confused in your second comment :D

December 05, 2008 12:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UPDATE...HURRAY!!

Since you deleted my comment, I am not going to say anything about the quality of the post! hmmph!

December 05, 2008 2:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are one of those kinds who sleep in the lecture and at the end of it asks doubts that leaves the professor flummoxed.
So as long as you are good at what you do, yeh sab maaf hai :-)

You-know-who!

December 05, 2008 2:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update chahiye...

December 08, 2008 8:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home